Sunday, April 02, 2006

Death Cab for Cutie



Hmmm...where should I start. Kathy, Zach and David came up to Tulsa yesterday for the concert. We ran wedding arrands for Kathy all day then met everyone at Mexacali before the show. Paula, Dallas, John, Nicci, Kevin, Wendy and us had a quick dinner then walked over. Kevin was REALLY excited because until Friday, he thought he wasn't going to be able to go! I won 2 extra tix on myspace and because Kevin has been so distraught over not being able to get tix, I figured no one in Tulsa deserved these more then them. Nicci didn't have a ticket but she was able to pic one up outside for two times the face value! It was a sold out show so thats what the market would bare.




The show started quickly after we got there. David and I tried to get as close as we could to the stage. The crowd seemed alot more into the concert then when we saw them in November. I think it is due to the fact that fans have had alot more time to listen to their latest album. They had a few more extended jam portions then in November. Probably due to their growing familiarity with the new material. At one point Ben's guitar went out, which drasticly changed the sound of the song. It is hard to deny his role as a central part of the band. At one point they even brought a second drum set out for him to play with the drumer. It was fantastic.




The set compared to November was almost identical. The lights and sound was better. Also Ben's voice sounded more tuned and everyone on a whole was more in sync. The crowd really went crazy at the end of the concert bringing them back out for two more. My favorites. He opened the encore with "I Will Follow You into the Dark", an acoustic song, then 'Transatlanticism". Just Ben on the stage singing and the audience singing with him. In November, having only one or two months to listen to the song, everyone knew it. That was then and is now my favorite parts of both shows. I have a few clips of video, but I am not allowed to post it on youtube, so I am going to have to figure something else out. But I will include a few photos.

Other events of note that night, we went to Kilkennys afterward and got inside just before the tornado. The massive storm went through and I didn't know till tonight that there was a tornado over by the airport. Doesn't surprise me, it looked CRAZY out there. Also we could smell smoke so the fire dept came out to Kilkenny's to make sure the building didn't get struck by lightening. After a complete walk through, they decided we were out of danger...from fire anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a fun night. i wished my lazyness got tix before they sold out...

never underestimate the buying power of rabid fans.